Nav

Image Map

Friday, September 12, 2014

Four for Friday {September 12th}

What a crazy long week it has been! I don't know if it was the new boots or the constant running around but my legs are sore and I am absolutely beat. This week included a jam-packed schedule of learning activities, more MAP testing, and some very interesting behaviors (Blame it on the weather? Blame it on Monday's full moon?) I feel like I need to stand on the nearest mountaintop and scream TGIF! But instead I'll just join in Friday's fun with Doodle Bugs. Which I have turned into Four for Friday since I could not muster the energy to think of a fifth random thing to share with you all ;)

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2014/09/five-for-friday-linky-party-september_12.html

I finally finished my Halloween-themed subtraction color by number printables! My firsties really tend to struggle when it comes to getting a handle on subtraction so I needed to create an engaging way for them to practice their essential facts. Take a look at them here in my TPT store.

On Tuesday, we had our first science curriculum mapping committee meeting of the year. We are going to map/put together resources this year so that next year we can pilot new materials and be ready for Illinois' implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards in 2016. All I can say is holy cannoli, are these standards different than what we have been teaching! They really emphasize the whole "inch wide, mile deep" concept that we see with some of the Common Core. Therefore, our science units are going to be much longer, much more in-depth, and also much more hands-on!

This week, our Reader's Workshop mini lessons were centered around the different word-attack strategies we use when we come across a word we do not know. My kids were so excited to learn about a new forest friend (or two) each day - I had no idea that they would find my posters so engaging! After introducing each forest friend, I put up their poster on our back chalkboard. Now that it is complete, my students have a new resource to use while we work at becoming better readers!

And last but not least, how cute is this?

Happy, happy (did I mention happy?) Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment